Just wow. That's about all I can say. We are just minutes removed from Petr Sykora's triple overtime goal and all the pressure in this series is now squarely on the shoulders of the Detroit Red Wings. The Penguins are back in the Stanley Cup Finals in a big way and they are heading home for Game 6. For the fourth game in a row, many of these young Penguins will be playing in the biggest game of their lives. At some point they just get used to it and get on with life I'm sure.
My notes on Game 5:
- When his team needed him the most, Marc-Andre Fleury was at his best. MAF's contract demands probably just got bumped up a little bit. Again.
- Huge performance by the Penguins defense tonight. After losing Sergei Gonchar the 5 remaining Penguin blue liners circled the wagons and took care of business. Ryan Whitney in particular was outstanding as he led all skaters in ice time and left it all on the ice.
- People will be talking about Sykora calling his shot for years. That was the stuff of legends.
- Evgeni Malkin picked up an assist on the winner. Could that be the start of something big?
- It seems like forever ago but... Max Freaking Talbot!!
- 30 minutes ago I hated Jiri Hudler. Now he's possibly my favorite Red Wing ever. Nice stickwork there joke.
- It has been said many times but it still holds true, nothing around beats playoff overtime hockey.
- Game 6 can't get here soon enough. The Igloo is gonna be rocking!
- Henrik Zetterberg
- Sidney Crosby
- Marc-Andre Fleury
- Johan Franzen
- Chris Osgood