Wednesday, June 4, 2008

2008 Playoffs: Wrapping Up Game 6 And The Finals

The better team won. Let's just get the clear from the start here. The Detroit Red Wings are your 2008 Stanley Cup Champions thanks to their 3-2 Game 6 win in Pittsburgh. The Penguins gave it all they had, but they were flat for most of the game and two (really) bad goals did them in. They made a game out of it with Marian Hossa's late deflection goal, but it was all for naught as Chris Osgood made one final glove save to seal the deal for Detroit.

Detroit was the better team in this series, but the Pens did themselves in by playing so poorly in the two opening games in Detroit. As good as this Penguins team was, they were not going to be able to take four out of five from this Red Wings team. Hats off to the Wings, they earned it.

My other random musings:

  • The Pens were really flat for most of this game. They were losing just about every race to a loose puck and they weren't going to beat Detroit playing like that.
  • That third goal for Detroit (the Cup clincher) was one of the most painful things I ever watched. I could easily throw Brooks Orpik under the bus for not dealing with the loose puck in the crease, but he was trying to protect his goalie and I'll never fault a player for that.
  • I am legitimately happy for Brian Rafalski. Red Wing or not, I really like him as a player.
  • I feel completely opposite about Johan Franzen. He's the guy I really learned to hate during this series.
  • Nice of Kris Draper to take a run at Sergei Gonchar from behind early in the game. Isn't this the same team the whined about Gary Roberts going after Franzen in Game 2?
  • The refs were terrible tonight from start to finish. I'm not saying that as a Penguins fan either, but just as a hockey fan. The NHL officials really need to get it together.
  • Evgeni Malkin finally had the kind of game we had all been waiting for. Better late than never I guess.
  • For about the last 10 minutes of the game I kept telling myself over and over "Ron Francis in Game 7 against the Islanders". Marian Hossa almost made my wish come true. Complete with the brilliant deflection on a wrister from the point. Almost...
  • I wouldn't be shocked to see these two teams battle for the Cup again next year.
  • The next few weeks are going to be real interesting for the Penguins as Ray Shero and company begin to deal with their glut of free agents.
The Conn Five
  1. Henrik Zetterberg
  2. Sidney Crosby
  3. Marc-Andre Fleury
  4. Johan Franzen
  5. Chris Osgood

No comments: